Monday, November 24, 2014

Interview with Rachel Trautmiller



 Today, I interview romance author Rachel Trautmiller.

1. What made you decide to start writing? Was this something you always thought you’d do?
Thanks for having me today! I was given a journal for Christmas at a pretty young age (old enough to pen an incomplete sentence about what I did for the day). That journal carried me through to poems, English papers and then my first story—a historical romance set in California in the 1900’s.
In eighth grade we were given a project in English class. Write a short book detailing your life and what you hope to accomplish in the future. We were asked to note our top three dream jobs. Doctor, counselor and writer were among my choices. I’m happy to say that I made a dream come true with my debut novel, Linked. 

2. How do you come up with your characters or story ideas?
I have to give my characters the credit, here. They pretty much run around in my head, showing me what they’d like me to know. In a sense, I’m like my readers, figuring out the details as I go. An idea will usually start as a basic theme. A little mystery, murder, mayhem with enough romance to warm your heart—that’s where my characters come in. I get to figure out who they are on the ride that entails my books. They keep me pretty busy. 

3. How do you get inspired to write?
Often, I’ll listen to music. Any genre, whatever strikes the mood for the scene I’m working on. Reading a really well written and engaging book always makes me want to write. I love reading pretty much any genre, but romantic suspense is my all-time favorite.

4. What do you do while having writers block?
If I’m stuck, a drive or a jog might do the trick. Anything that will get me out of my head and into my character’s world. The characters often reveal their secrets at inopportune times (in the middle of a diaper change, a root canal, in line at the grocery store)! I’ve learned to keep paper handy!

5. What kind of stories do you write?
Romantic Suspense is my favorite to read and write. There’s a little bit of everything, in my opinion—no over saturation. I’ve got to hand it to the writers of other genres, however, I’m not sure I would have a story without my murder-mayhem twists. 

6. Who’s your favorite author(s)?
I wish I could name them all! Here’s a few with their recent releases: Karin Slaughter (COP TOWN), Lisa Gardner (CATCH ME), Julie James (IT HAPPENED ONE WEDDING), Catherine Bybee (NOT QUITE SERIES) and Sally Bradley (KEPT).

7. How long have you been writing?
A long time. Probably about ten years collectively. My husband bought me my first laptop in 2004 after I hogged our only desktop non-stop. He surprised me with that and a ton of books detailing the publishing process. He’s a keeper and my biggest supporter. J I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention the wonderful employer I had at that time. Any downtime we had (after our work was complete) could be spent doing whatever we wanted within the office (within reason, of course!). Sometimes, we played games while waiting for patients, other times I wrote and my co-workers read. 

8. What are your other stories about?
Linked is a timeless story of perseverance in the face of unspeakable evil, forgiveness after years of neglect and love in the hopeless cause. It unites childhood friends, Jordan and McKenna, after a tragedy separated them ten years prior. Throw in some new murders and add the combustible ignition of unsung desire and you’ve got a couple desperate to complete their jobs with the FBI without acknowledging the very real desire between them. Did I mention they accidentally get married in Las Vegas? Whoops! Don’t worry, this won’t spoil your appetite to discover how this duo is LINKED. Available on Amazon. www.amazon.com/dp/B00NZ8FAZO









9. What are you currently working on?
I’m currently working on book 2 in The Bening Files, Disconnect, set to release early 2015. Ever had someone know your deepest, darkest secrets? When that person finds Amanda Nettles, a detective with CMPD, she’ll do anything to protect herself and the people she cares about. Sounds easy, right? But what happens when that same faceless menace starts killing innocent people and you’re the only one who knows the truth? Find out in February 2015!

10. What do you do when not writing?
I enjoy time with my family and friends. I love football (SKOL VIKES!), reading, playing with my adorable daughter, date night with my hubby and relaxing at home. I love animals, swimming, music (anything my husband plays) dancing, movies and anything to do with crime (TV shows, books, articles).
Feel free to follow me and my characters. You can find us here:

0 comments:

Post a Comment