Friday, October 10, 2014

Pre-order

The first in my origin series, A Mirrors Beginning: John Brooks, is now available for pre-order! Reserve your copy of this short story for $.99

Blurb:

High school drop out, former addict, now fights for intergalactic peace.

Life can be rough for some. For one man, life was insurmountable. One dead end after another lead him in and out of jail more times than he ventured to count. One such occasion changed everything.

Charlie Westlake is a man on a mission to bring together one of the top teams the universe has ever seen. On this trip, he will bring an empty man into the fold. Will he make it?

John Brooks enters the ISC in this, a prequel to Mirror Image.




What do you think of the updated over?

Excerpt:
 He had a sinking feeling when Charlie pulled him into his office.

“John, take a seat,” he ordered.

John sat down in the chair opposite of the office desk, watching Charlie intently. The commander
folded his hands on top of the desk. Disappointment filled Charlie’s eyes and for the first time in a long time, John felt ashamed.

“When I brought you in here, I knew it would take some time adjusting,” Charlie began. “Time
which I gladly gave.”
“I am grateful for all you’ve done for me.”
“I know you are. For the most part, you are prospering. You’ve come a long way, John.”
“Thank you.”
“But these reports I’ve gotten recently disturb me.”

John kept his eyes on Charlie and didn’t speak.

“Picking fights among your team, refusing to fall in line with your leader, often disobeying orders -”
“Sir, sometimes Melissa’s orders are ridiculous.”
“She told me you’d say that. She says you are uncooperative.”
“I speak my mind. She doesn’t like it.”
“No, she certainly doesn’t.” Charlie leaned back in his chair, stroking his chin. “What do you fight
for?”
John blinked a few times, confused at the question. “Huh?”
“It’s a simple question. What do you fight for?”

Charlie stood up, walking around and sitting down on the edge of the desk.

“Do you fight for Earth? For your brothers? Yourself? What drives you, John? What makes you get
out of bed in the morning?”
John thought about it. “Duty.”
“Duty,” Charlie repeated.
“I want to work here. I want to be a part of something.”
“That’s not going to do it.” Charlie shook his head.
A hard lump formed in John’s throat. “Are you dismissing me?”
“Goodness boy, no. I’m saying you need something more.”

He stood up and John did the same. Charlie walked back around to his desk and sat down in his
chair.

“Effective immediately, Mackenzie Rhodes will be your squad leader.”
Shock rippled through his body. “Why?” The question carelessly slipped from his lips without
thought.
“We’re restructuring. She has been a squad leader for two years now. Melissa is being reassigned.”
“Who else is on the team?” He hesitated before asking.
“You, Logan, Seth, and Jackson. Nothing else is changing.”
“Charlie, why isn’t Jackson the leader? He’s more than capable.”
“He was offered, but declined. I think he liked the idea of working with his wife too much to pass
up.”
Another shock hit him. “Wait, Jackson and Mackenzie are married?”
“She goes by Mack now.” Charlie grinned. “Seems she took a liking to the nickname you gave her.”

John looked at him confused. He hadn’t spoken with her other than a nod and a hello in passing in
years. Field agents and scientists normally didn’t interact.

Charlie chuckled. “Some people have an impact on our lives, even in ways we don’t expect.”
“I guess so.”
“I like you, John. Always have. You could do great things here, but only if you pull yourself together.
Find something worth fighting for. Give yourself a real reason.”
“I’ll try.”
“She’s requesting to speak with you before formally making the announcement. Go report to your
leader,” Charlie said, dismissing him.

I'm really excited to release this series. I am currently working on Seth and Logan's story as well.

Ready to pre-order? Just click the link! http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OAXIBAY and don't forget to join me and Distinguished Press for the launch party Wednesday night, October 29th. Fun games and prizes to be given away! https://t.co/0dFOuqHtOq

1 comments:

Catrina Taylor said...

This is exciting!

Post a Comment