Friday, May 9, 2014

Distinguished Press

This may sound like a woman towing the company line, but it's not.

I am proud to be a Distinguished Press author. I am proud to be a part of a wonderful support system of authors working together to accomplish a goal of producing the best books we can. We are a team to promote each other and try to improve our skills.

I can't remember if I found Distinguished Press or if it found me. I remember seeing a post on twitter about a company who works only with book series and I couldn't wait to submit Mirror Image after reading the website. Someone struck up a conversation with me from one of my tweets and I started talking about submitting my book and some of the other works I was in the middle of. The next day I get an email from the publisher! Loved the book and if I was still interested, wanted to send me a contract. I was ecstatic. I was doing something I shouldn't have done and was reading the email from my phone while driving (but I was at a stoplight) and kept reading. Imagine my surprise when I kept reading the email and it told me how much she enjoyed talking to me on Twitter, she loved my enthusiasm, and couldn't wait to work with me. I had unknowingly undergone an interview with the owner and had passed.

I was such a baby author, still cutting my teeth even though I had been working on the project for a long time. There were a lot of things I didn't know when it came time to edit Mirror Image and I'm sure I drove my terrific editor, Jen, crazy with some of my inane questions. Still, she never brushed me off and always made me feel safe with whatever I was asking. These women helped improve me as a writer.

Not too toot my own horn (but this is my blog so I'm going to) I feel like under Jen and Catrina, I've really stopped a lot of my bad habits and grown. Reading works from Ashley and Karyn really was insightful, too. They are always there to give advice, show me what did and didn't work and why, and always for support. I'm proud to be a member of this family.

If you are writing a book series, Distinguished Press is accepting Submissions. I encourage you to send your manuscript in and get on board as this company begins to expand.

Mirror Image is the first in a sci-fi romance series. In a sense, I feel like it was my freshman year. Under the learning tree, my next series Amethyst Chronicles feels like a senior project. My writing has greatly improved (tooting my horn again) in the last few months since I signed with them. Mirror Shattered will be even better than the first and we will keep improving and growing.

I've had bad experiences with some publishing companies to the point I almost gave up and self-published but I am glad I kept at it. Not every house is created equal. Submit your queries today.

1 comments:

Duchess Writer said...

Beautiful tribute to an amazing publisher!! I'm thankful to be a part of it, too...and I love the support and encouragement we receive from each other! You are awesome!!

Post a Comment