Sunday, January 20, 2019

Keto pep talk

It's been over a year now since I have ditched carbs and began a keto lifestyle. I have spoken about this in previous blogs but just in case you are unfamiliar, keto is a low carb, high fat diet that puts your body in a state of ketosis. Instead of storing carbs to use as energy, your body burns fat. I have lost a total of 82 pounds in the last year. And no, I don't miss the carbs.

Because of my success, a lot of my friends have turned to me for advice. I am not a medical professional. I can only speak of what has occurred for me and what I have researched online. I try to give out what info I can and refer to other sources. I'm still learning new recipes and what works best for my body. Everyone is different. I know quite a few people have goals or resolutions to lose weight and since we are a few weeks into the new year, I figured it might be time for a little pep talk.

The first few weeks of keto are the hardest. The cravings are difficult. Your body goes through withdrawals from all the processed foods and sugars you are now denying. Some people experience a big drop in weight the first week then nothing the second. No, you aren't doing it wrong. The first week weight loss is typically water weight. It does take time for your body to enter ketosis and burn the fats for energy. Because of this, some of my friends say they experienced low energy levels and feelings of depression. THIS IS NORMAL. It does go away as your body normalizes.

Keto flu is real. I read a lot about this prior to starting so I took steps to prevent this as much as possible so mine wasn't bad. For tips, head over to the Diet Doctor.

You don't have to deprive yourself. Seriously! Anyone who thinks you can't enjoy food while on this 'diet' really should check out my Instagram. I have made pizza, tacos, ice cream, meatloaf, cookies, biscuits, pancakes, and so much more. Tonight's dinner is meatballs with zucchini noodles with brownies for dessert.  There are thousands of wonderful recipes to try! I love Pinterest. There are also a ton of Facebook groups for recipe sharing and support.

Don't be afraid to change things up. We all get into a food rut, eating the same things all the time. For me personally, not only is that boring but my body gets used to things so it stops working effectively. I have to throw a curve ball in occasionally. That could mean anywhere from eating more fats than usual or upping my carbs for the day. That helps me get out of any stall that happens. And stalling does happen. It doesn't mean you did anything wrong. It just happens.

I can't stress this point enough: SCRUTINIZE THE INGREDIENT LABEL. Even on products you think is 'safe'. For example: stevia is one of the sugar alternatives keto dieters use. It tastes great and won't impact your blood sugar level. However, if you look at the big bags stores sell of stevia, you'll find most of them will contain malodexterin which can cause weight gain, increased risk of high blood pressure, and has been linked to type 2 diabetes. So be careful!

This is going to sound like a weird thing to say, but be careful of products that say keto on the label. This goes along with my previous point of scrutinize the label. Keto is becoming increasingly popular and companies are recognizing it and trying to cash in. There are products I have come across at Wal-mart for meal replacement shakes and snacks that say keto but a closer examination on the label shows there are some non-keto friendly ingredients. Keto Connect (https://www.ketoconnect.net/) did a video about the Slim Fast keto line and I think the results might surprise some people.

Keto Connect is a great resource as well! They are one of the three YouTube channels I subscribe to. The other two are Disney related.

I know starting any kind of diet is difficult. When the weight doesn't drop off as quickly as we want, or the cravings hit hard, it makes it challenging. I can only speak from my experience. I was pre-diabetic. I had a long history of back problems. Allergies and asthma stole days away from me. I got sick a lot. In the past year, I wasn't home one single day from pain or illness. Occasionally would get a headache but nothing like the migraines I used to. 82 pounds gone. From a 3xl to a large. Even my wedding ring doesn't fit anymore. I am healthier than I have been in years. My relationship with food has improved.

Don't give up. Even if a ketogenic diet isn't for you, find something that you enjoy. I have said it before: set goals, not resolutions. Keep going. YOU ARE WORTH IT. You can do it. I believe in you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment