Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Multiple Universes

The older I get, the more I contemplate the multiverse theory. For those not familiar (or maybe don't watch Family Guy) a multiverse is the hypothetical set of finite and infinite possible universes, including the universe in which we live. It's pretty popular in sci-fi. The idea of parallel or alternate universes. My lovely friend Liza (and fellow writer) believes in it and the more I talk with her and research, I am starting to as well.

So if meta-universe is real, that means that for every action I have done on this earth, there is another me in another dimension that has done the opposite. There's a me that joined the Air Force straight out of high school. There's a me that never moved out of Charleston. That me settled for a man because she was ready to be a mother. She's probably working as a sports massage therapist. But this is the multiverse. She may not have gone to college for massage therapy at all. There may be another me that didn't drop out from her business degree. There's a me that went to New York after high school, found a voice coach and worked to get on Broadway. Or a me that decided to become a teacher.

In so many of these scenarios, my life is so completely different. How would I be? Would I be more or less the same me? Would I feel complete? Am I happy? I feel like the basis of these questions make for great fiction. Hundreds of thousands of stories have been created off of these questions. I even touch a bit on it in my Mirror series.

Everything happens for a reason. If I hadn't left South Carolina, I never would've met my husband. It's hard to imagine me being happy with anyone other than him. Each of the above scenarios wouldn't have resulted in me becoming an author either. But still, the mind wonders to the other possibilities.

Have you ever thought about what the parallel you is doing right now? If the other you is doing something you wish you were, maybe you should think about changing that. Be the best version of yourself. Now. Not in other dimensions.

1 comments:

Liza O'Connor said...

I agree. I don't even want to think what the other mes are doing. I juar want to be happy and handle my own problems. But remember, I believe multiverses collapse into one another when differences are insignificant. That means Liza 2's problems can become my problems, but it could also mean my problems go away. Thinking positive helps.

Post a Comment